Sunday, October 29, 2006

Something a little creepy...

Okay, I know that this is not up to my usual standards, but I wanted to find a piece of creepy, scary classical music with Halloween coming up, and here it is.

The piece is called "Central Park in the Dark" and was written in 1906 by the fascinating American composer Charles Ives.

I promise to post more about Ives and his influence on 20th century classical music at some point, but for now listen to the audio clip for the piece on the Amazon.com page and read the bio I linked to. He was greatly influenced by (you guessed it) Beethoven, and like him was considered quite radical at the time. He was also a great benefactor or other, younger musicians and composers and mysteriously stopped composing completely later in life, complaining to his wife that "nothing sounds right".

Maybe his piano was haunted.

So enjoy, and be a little spooked.

regards,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home